Getting stuck in the sand, mud or water is at some point inevitable for most drivers. Beaches and the occasional flash flood in Florida make it easy to get your car stuck.
However, without car insurance, a tow truck can be expensive and cost serious time. You can phone a friend with a tow strap or chains, but their vehicle must be powerful enough to pull you out of the elements. With clever know how you can get yourself unstuck and back on the road quickly.
Sand & Mud
If your wheels are slipping and you are not going anywhere, you are stuck. Do not continue to press the gas. Spinning your tires will dig a hole sinking further into the sand or mud.
Firestone recommends a simple solution, use a car mat. A car mat will increase traction under your tire, allowing your car to pull forward over the mud or sand. Other items that work as well include, sticks, cardboard, a blanket, pieces of carpet or a truck liner.
Follow these steps:
- Place your car into park.
- Dig dirt or sand away from the front of each tire stuck.
- Take your car mat and place the tip of the mat under the stuck tire, with the rest of the mat in front of the tire.
- Get back into the car and drive slowly forward until you reach solid ground. Don’t forget to pick up your floor mat!
Floodwaters can damage roadways washing away the entire road surface and a significant amount of ground. A mere 6 inches of water will reach the bottom of most passenger cars causing loss of control or possible stalling. AccuWeather reports, one foot of water will float many vehicles and two feet of rushing water can carry away most vehicles including SUV’s and pick-up trucks.
- If your call stalls in water, try restarting the engine.
- If you cannot restart your vehicle and you become trapped in rising water, abandon it immediately and climb to higher ground. Do not climb on top of your vehicle, it could be carried away.
- Try to open the door or roll down the window to get out of the car. Do not break the window, glass can go inward.
- If you are unable to get out safely, call 911 or get the attention of a passerby or someone standing on higher ground so they may call for help.
GreatFlorida Insurance can help you find the most reliable and affordable auto insurance to fit your individual needs. We have agents throughout Florida to serve you and answer any questions you may have regarding car insurance. Contact us today.