Saturday, October 23, 2021
spot_img

Gearing Up for the 2021 Hurricane Season

The Atlantic hurricane season occurs from June 1 to November 30.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) is predicting another above-normal Atlantic hurricane season. Forecasters predict a 60 percent chance of above-normal season, 30 percent chance of near-normal season and a 10 percent chance of a below-normal season.

“It only takes one storm to cause devastating effects to a home,” says Ellsworth Buck, Vice President of GreatFlorida Insurance, Florida’s leading independent homeowners insurance agency.

For 2021 NOAA anticipates a likely range of 13 to 20 named storms, with 6-10 becoming hurricanes including 3-5 major hurricanes expected.

https://www.noaa.gov/media-release/noaa-predicts-another-active-atlantic-hurricane-season

Florida Attorney General Ashley Moody released the 2021 Hurricane Preparedness Guide this week. The guide has information about major storms, tips for preparing your home for a hurricane, checklists, storm resources, an evacuation plan and how to avoid scams in the aftermath of a storm.

Storms are an unfortunate reality for Floridians. Planning ahead will help you avoid shortages and long-lines when a storm is bearing down.

“The best way to prepare for a storm is check your current homeowners insurance policy,” says Ellsworth Buck, Vice President of GreatFlorida Insurance, Florida’s leading independent homeowners insurance agency.

It is important for homeowners to make sure they are not underinsured. Ask your agent if your policy covers the current value of your home. Also, if your home is damaged, will your home insurance cover a place for you to stay during repairs? Do you have flood insurance? Flood insurance is the only way to cover water or flood damage caused by a storm. Keep in mind, it takes 30 days for a flood insurance policy to kick in, so planning ahead is required.

Recent legislation created the upcoming 2021 Disaster Preparedness Sales Tax Holiday, from May 28- June 6 to help aid with storm preparation.

Items eligible to purchase without paying sales tax include the following:

Reusable ice packs-$20 or less

Candles, flashlights lanterns-$40 or less

Gas containers-$40 or less

Batteries-$50 or less

Radios-$50 or less

Coolers-$60 or less

Bungee cords-$100 or less

Ratchet straps-$100 or less

Tarps-$100 or less

Plastic sheeting-$100 or less

Portable generators-$1,000 or less

Bottled water

Canned/ jar foods

First-aid kits

Prescription and non-prescription medications

Baby food & formula

Feminine hygiene products

Don’t wait until it is too late, contact GreatFlorida Insurance for homeowners insurance or flood insurance. Our agents can answer your questions leaving you no gaps in your homeowners insurance.

https://www.greatflorida.com/florida-homeowners-insurance
Ellsworth Buckhttp://www.greatflorida.com/
Since 2003, Ellsworth has served as Vice President of GreatFlorida Insurance, a network of independent, franchised insurance agents located throughout Florida. During his tenure he has helped the franchise grow to more than 100 independent locations state wide. He is a 20+ year veteran of the Florida Insurance industry and is a graduate West Virginia University, earning his M.B.A in 1984. He lives with his wife in Stuart, Florida. For more information visit: www.greatflorida.com

Related Articles

- Advertisement -spot_img

Latest Articles